Your Options

Before Judgment Options


To plead guilty by paying a certificate of offence, please follow the instructions on the back of the certificate of offence. Please note that penalties will be added in the event of late payment. The unpaid fines will also be forwarded to a collection agency and may result in a suspension of your driver's license.

Secured online payment

  • Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard Debit, and Amex are accepted.
  • You must have your certificate of offence and your driver's license number on hand for online payments.
  • Administration fees apply when using this method of payment.

Payment by mail

Send a cheque or money order to the following address:

Provincial Offences Office
United Counties of Prescott and Russell
28 Court Street, P. O. Box 347
L'Orignal (Ontario) K0B 1K0

Payment in person

Have cheque, money order, credit card (MasterCard, Visa, MasterCard Debit, Visa Debit or Amex), debit card, or cash on hand and present yourself at the following address:

Provincial Offences Office
United Counties of Prescott and Russell
28 Court Street, L'Orignal (Ontario) 

Payment by phone

  • Please dial 613-675-4661 or 1-800-667-6307.
  • Business hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
  • Visa, MasterCard Debit, Visa Debit, MasterCard, and Amex are accepted.

Option 2: To plead guilty with an explanation

You may choose to plead guilty to the offence with an explanation. In order to do so, you must present yourself before a Justice of the Peace.

To confirm available dates and times, please dial 613-675-4661 or 1-800-667-6307.

The Justice of the Peace may in certain instances:

  • reduce the amount ($) of the fine;
  • grant time to pay the fine.

The Justice of the Peace cannot:

  • amend the charge, for example, reduce a speeding fine from 20 to 15 kimometres per hour;
  • remove or reduce applicable demerit points.

Option 3 - Plea of not guilty

To enter a plea of not guilty, you must fill out option 3 at the back of your certificate of offence, or you may fill out a notice of intention to appear. The document can be filed in person at the Provincial Offences Office, mailed to the address indicated on the back of the certificate of offence, faxed to 1-877-890-6090, or emailed to [email protected].

For more information or questions

For further information please dial 613-675-4661 or 1-800-667-6307 or email [email protected].

After Judgment Options

Request for reopening

This document will allow you to put forward a request to reopen a file for a certificate of offence or parking before a Justice of the Peace in the event that the defendant:

  • did not receive his notice of trial; and
  • was convicted in his absence by the court.

The reopening must be filed within 30 days of the conviction date.

In the event that the request is granted by the Justice of the Peace, a new Early Resolution date or trial date will be set, and the conviction as well as the demerit points, if applicable, will be lifted.

Motion for extension of time to pay a fine

This document can be used to request an extension of time to pay a Provincial Offences fine.

In order to obtain a delay to pay the fine(s) without incurring any further penalties, the defendant must fill out this application and present it to the Justice of the Peace at the Provincial Offences Office.

Guide to Appeals in Provincial Offences Cases

This guide provides general information about the appeal process under the Provincial Offences Act.

For more information or questions

For more information, please contact the Provincial Offences Office at 613-675-4661 or 1-800-667-6307.